This basic green salad with pears is brightened up with crunchy toasted hazelnuts. Toast extra hazelnuts for snacking or to use later in the week.
Green Salad with Pears, Toasted Hazelnuts, and Berry Vinaigrette
Green Salad with Fresh Pears, Toasted Hazelnuts and Berry Vinaigrette
Author: Chef Garrett Berdan, RDN
- Calories: 184
- Fat: 11g
- Saturated fat: 1g
- Carbohydrates: 23g
- Sugar: 14g
- Sodium: 110 mg
- Fiber: 5g
- Protein: 2g
- Cholesterol: 0
Recipe type: Appetizer
- ½ cup raw hazelnuts
- 2 Bartlett pears, fresh
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 4 cups romaine or butter lettuce, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 cups baby spinach
- ⅓ cup flat leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon raspberry or blackberry jam
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- Preheat the oven to 275 F.
- Spread hazelnuts on a rimmed sheet pan and place in the oven. Bake for about 15-20 minutes. You’ll know they are done when they are browned in places, aromatic, and the skins start to split. Remove from oven and set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, cut the Bartlett pears into 1-inch pieces and combine with the lemon juice in a small bowl. Set aside.
- In a large salad bowl combine the lettuce, baby spinach, and parsley leaves.
- When the hazelnuts have cooled enough to handle, place them in the center of a clean kitchen towel. Fold each side of the towel over the nuts to seal them in. Vigorously rub the hazelnuts together while securely packed in the towel. Set the towel on the counter and carefully unfold the towel. The hazelnuts should have lost most of their skins. Pick out the hazelnuts and place in a bowl. Discard the remaining skins. Roughly chop the hazelnuts and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine the apple cider vinegar, berry jam, kosher salt, black pepper and olive oil. Whisk together to dissolve the jam and incorporate the oil. Just before serving, pour the berry vinaigrette dressing over the salad and toss to coat the greens. Distribute the diced pears, chopped hazelnuts and dried cranberries over the salad.