Pineapple and sweet-tart apple cider give this emerald smoothie a super-fruity, refreshing flavor. If it weren’t for the vibrant color, you would never know you were getting some green vegetables with the sweet fruit.
How to Make Our Emerald Smoothie
- Serving size: 6 oz
- Calories: 108
- Fat: 0.5mg
- Saturated fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 27g
- Sugar: 20g
- Sodium: 18mg
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 1.5g
- Cholesterol: 4mg
- 1 cup apple cider
- 1 cup frozen pineapple chunks
- ½ cup fresh green kale leaves, torn
- ½ cup fresh baby spinach leaves, torn
- Place all of the ingredients into a blender.
- Place the lid securely on the blender and hold it down.
- Turn the blender on, increasing the speed to high, and blend until very smooth, about 1 minute. Serve immediately.
Rootopia Recipe developed by Chef Garrett Berdan, RDN, LD
The beauty of smoothies is that you can customize them to your tastes. You could add a little bit of yogurt to this recipe, or a dairy alternative like coconut milk or almond milk. You could even add fresh mint and drink this as an alternative to the minty milkshakes that are popular around St. Patrick’s day. The possibilities are endless, limited only by your tastes and culinary creativity.
What’s Your Favorite?
What’s your favorite smoothie recipe? Do you have any tricks you use to sneak extra vegetables into the recipe, while still keeping it tasty enough for your kids to want it? What do your kids think? Tell us all about it in the comments – or share it with us on our Facebook page!