Sweet Corn and Green Chile Cornbread
Author: Chef Garrett Berdan, RDN
Serves: 6 servings
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 112 cups canned corn kernels, drained
- 1 fresh jalapeno chili, seeds and ribs removed, finely diced
- 12 teaspoon salt
- 12 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 large eggs, separated
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F and butter a 6-cup baking dish.
- Bring the milk to a low boil in a heavy saucepan over medium heat.
- Stir in the yellow corn meal and cook until it thickens, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in the unsalted butter, corn kernels, diced jalapeno chili, salt and black pepper. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, place the 4 separated egg whites into a large, clean mixing bowl.
- Beat on high with an electric hand-mixer until stiff peaks form. Stir the separated egg yolks into the cornmeal mixture.
- Fold the whipped egg whites into the batter in 3 additions, and mix until just combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking dish and place in the preheated oven.
- Bake for about 35 minutes, or until puffed and golden brown on top.
- Serve with a large spoon hot from the oven.
Estimated cost per serving: $0.40
Calories: 178 Fat: 8g Saturated fat: 4g Carbohydrates: 21g Sugar: 4g Sodium: 310mg Fiber: 2g Protein: 7g Cholesterol: 119mg
Recipe by Rootopia at http://rootopia.com/sweet-corn-and-green-chili-cornbread/