Grilled Salmon With Spices
Author: Chef Garrett Berdan, RDN
- 4 3-ounce salmon fillets, skin on or skinless
- ½ teaspoon whole fennel seeds
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Place salmon fillets on a plate and set aside.
- Place whole fennel seed in a mortar and grind with a pestle (or use a spice grinder). Alternately, use ¼ teaspoon ground fennel seeds.
- Mix in the kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper.
- Sprinkle spice mixture evenly over each salmon fillet. Let rest in the refrigerator for up to 1 hour.
- Coat all sides of the seasoned salmon fillets with the olive oil.
- Grill preparation:
- Preheat grill with a medium high flame for at least 15 minutes and brush thoroughly to clean.
- Place ¼ cup vegetable oil in a small dish.
- Fold a paper towel into a small square and hold with a pair of tongs. Just before adding the salmon dip the paper towel into the vegetable oil and rub on the grill grates to coat with oil.
- Place the seasoned, oiled salmon fillets flesh-side down on the grill and reduce the flame to medium.
- Cook for about 4 or 5 minutes and turn. Because you oiled the grill grates and the salmon it should easily release from the grill.
- Continue cooking for another 4-5 minutes. Transfer the salmon to a clean plate and tent with foil until ready to serve.
Estimated cost per serving: $2.54
Serving size: 3 oz Calories: 218 Fat: 16 g Saturated fat: 2 g Carbohydrates: 0 Sugar: 0 Sodium: 196 mg Fiber: 0 Protein: 18 g Cholesterol: 54 mg
Recipe by Rootopia at http://rootopia.com/grilled-salmon-with-spices/