Frozen Broccoli and Cheddar Frittata
Author: Chef Garrett Berdan, RDN
Serves: 6-8 pieces
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ large yellow onion, sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ¼ - ½ teaspoon red chili flakes
- 1 pound petite cut frozen broccoli florets
- 8 eggs
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- Arrange oven rack to the center position and preheat the broiler.
- Heat a 12-inch nonstick oven-safe skillet over medium heat. Add the olive oil, sliced yellow onion, minced garlic and red chili flakes.
- Sauté until softened, about 3 minutes.
- Add the frozen petit cut broccoli florets and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until the broccoli is heated through, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk the eggs with salt and ground black pepper.
- When the broccoli is heated through, pour the eggs over the vegetables. Using a heatproof spatula, stir the eggs and vegetables together, lifting some of the cooked eggs from the bottom of the pan.
- Spread the vegetables evenly in the pan, turn off the burner, and sprinkle with the grated sharp cheddar cheese.
- Place the pan on the center rack in the oven and cook under the broiler for about 5-7 minutes, or until the eggs are set and the frittata is browned in places.
- Remove the frittata from the oven and let it rest for 5 minutes in the pan. With a spatula gently release the frittata from the bottom of the pan and transfer to a large plate.
- Cut into 6-8 pieces and serve warm.
Serving size: 1 piece Calories: 181 Fat: 12g Saturated fat: 4g Carbohydrates: 6g Sugar: 2g Sodium: 262mg Fiber: 2g Protein: 13g Cholesterol: 292mg
Recipe by Rootopia at http://rootopia.com/frozen-broccoli-cheddar-frittata/