Spicy Sweet Strawberry Salsa
Author: Recipe adapted from Portland Public Schools Nutrition Services
Serves: 3 Cups
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup red onion, diced
- 3 cups fresh strawberries, diced
- 1 small fresh jalapeno pepper, seeds and ribs removed, finely minced
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- Combine the lime juice, brown sugar, salt and diced red onion in a medium mixing bowl.
- Stir until the onion is coated in lime juice. Let this mixture sit for at least 10 minutes while preparing the other ingredients.
- The lime juice will help mellow the sharpness of the red onion.
- Add the diced strawberries, minced fresh jalapeno pepper, and fresh cilantro to the bowl with the onion and lime juice mixture. Stir until well combined.
- This salsa can be served immediately or made 1 day in advance, in which case the strawberries will have released some juices and the salsa becomes saucier.
Estimated cost per serving: $0.28
Serving size: ¼ cup Calories: 17 Fat: 0 Carbohydrates: 4 Sugar: 2 Sodium: 25 mg Fiber: 1 Protein: 0
Recipe by Rootopia at http://rootopia.com/spicy-sweet-strawberry-salsa/