This recipe for chili lemon poppers is based on chickpeas. They’re flavorful, high in protein, and (when baked) crispy! You’ll get hooked, quickly! Eat them as a snack, or use them as a crunchy topping for salads. They’ll beat popcorn as your favorite movie night snack.
Here is a 1 minute video on how to make them!
- Calories: 127
- Fat: 4g
- Saturated fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 18g
- Sugar: 3g
- Sodium: 276mg
- Fiber: 1g
- Protein: 5g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
- 2 15-ounce cans (about 3 cups) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon chili powder or ground New Mexico Chiles
- ½ teaspoon flaky kosher salt
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Place the drained chickpeas on a towel and pat with a towel to dry off the excess water. Pour chickpeas into a mixing bowl.
- Zest the fresh lemon with a fine grater or rasp grater. Add to the chickpeas. Cut the lemon in half and squeeze out the juice. Add 2 teaspoons of the lemon juice to the chickpeas.
- Add the vegetable oil, chili powder or ground New Mexico Chiles, and kosher salt. Stir until the chickpeas are well coated with the seasonings.
- Spray a rimmed sheet pan with nonstick spray. Pour the chickpeas onto the prepared sheet pan and spread chickpeas out into a single layer.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 35 – 45 minutes, stirring the chickpeas half way through. The chickpeas will shrink a bit and get crisp and browned on the outside. Remove from the oven and eat while warm or at room temperature.
Rootopia Recipe from Chef Garrett Berdan, RDN.
Do you have a favorite healthy snack? Tell us about it in the comments!